1 sweet onion
4 tablespoons flour
1 teaspoon dried basil
1 teaspoon sweet chili powder
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/2 teaspoon salt (or to taste)
1. Peel the onion, but leave the root of the onion intact. Cut the top of the onion. Turn the onion over and make cuts 1-2 cm or so from the root to the bottom of the onion. Turn the onion over and carefully spread it.
2. Mix flour with all spices.
3. Beat the egg.
4. Put onion to the flour. Get rid of any excess flour by tapping it. Put it into the egg wash and cover it nicely then again put it to the flour and cover it completely with flour.
5. Put onion to the freezer for at least 1 hour.
6. Preheat the oil in the pot.
7. Put the onion to the boiling oil top going down for about 10-20 seconds, then turn it over and finish deep frying over medium-high heat. It should take about 7 minutes to completely fry it. Be extremely careful near boiling oil!
8. Eat it with your homemade dip and enjoy!